Thursday, May 17, 2007

ESK Loves Ella Funt

ESK is growing up so fast. It seems just yesterday she was swimming in all her clothes and she was this wrinkled, helpless, little thing. Of course, she's still pretty much helpless, but she is definitely becoming more aware of her surroundings and is starting to put things in her mouth. Like her favorite toy -- Ella Funt. (I got that from the Beverly Cleary "Ramona" books. Remember Ramona Quimby had a stuffed elephant named "Ella Funt" and a baby doll named "Chevrolet"?) She plays with Ella Funt's crinkly ears, pokes at the eyes, bats at the rattle feet, then tries to put the trunk in her mouth.

These days I've been busy with a freelance writing project I picked up. It's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, simply because it's difficult to get a large chunk of time away from ESK where I can really sit down and concentrate. I've been going on some interviews with ESK in tow and it has worked out for the most part. She's a pretty chill baby.

At an interview yesterday however, she was whining in her car seat and wouldn't settle down. So I had to pick her up to calm her down. She started whining again as soon as her head hit the car seat, so I put a very squirmy ESK on my lap and continued on with the interview. I must have been quite a sight since I was furiously typing on my laptop and then stopping every now and then to grab a hold of ESK who threatened to wriggle out of my lap. On top of all of that, I've had this weird flu the past couple days and had a stuffed up nose and a sinus headache.

I was kinda embarrassed, but luckily, the guy I was interviewing was a father of three and was pretty understanding. I think he probably thought it was funny. At least I hope.

7 comments:

RBK said...

HA HA! i would have liked to see you typing away with E in one arm. it's like that scene in 'cheaper by the dozen' where she's got her baby crawling all over the desk next to her typewriter. i can't believe you remember ramona's toy-names!

RBK said...

btw, is that toe-cheese i see?!

jl said...

that's awesome that you were able to take her to interviews!

I can't believe she's so big!

I love Ramona!

vivian said...

haah!! toe cheese.. that esk.. i can't wait to meet her!!! what type of article were you interviewing for anyway?

Allie said...

WOw, babies grow up so fast...

She's so cute. That's really cool that you take ESK to your interviews. Hope you'll get something really good.

yellowinter said...

my goodness, she has so much hair! N has lost most of his.
wow, she must be great for you to take her on interviews. it's such a blessing.
and i also am amazed that you remember such details from ramona. i used to love that series.
look forward to seeing you in philly sometime. portland is one of the best places to live, i hear. one of the places that's on his dream list.
hope your moving prep is going well.

yellowinter said...

well, thanks to her eemo, i had to blow up the picture myself and witness the toe-cheese. gotta love that, eh? does she still get finger-cheese too? sometimes i worry about his stinky and sweaty hands. :)
looking forward to seeing N grabbing a hold of things like E. can't believe what a difference a month makes to babies' dev. my friends noticed a change in just few days even. amazing...