Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Post-pregnancy Changes

Now that it's been three months, I'm taking stock of my body and seeing what changes are permanent. RBK warned me that things would not be the same after pregnancy and indeed, they are not! Mostly, there are bulges where there were not bulges. And while my feet have not grown dramatically or anything, my shoes do not fit the same, as if my foot bones shifted or something.

And today, I read this in the Wall Street Journal:

"One study suggests that motherhood may permanently alter the brain's memory and learning centers, according to a November 1999 report in Nature. In rat studies, rat mothers did a better job finding food and navigating mazes than rats who hadn't given birth. The theory is that the hormones of pregnancy as well as the powerful sensory events of motherhood, such as childbirth and breast-feeding, may permanently alter the brain, equipping mothers with enhanced cognitive abilities that help them care for their young."

So, it's possible that my brain is also altering! I guess this means that I'm getting better at finding grocery stores and child-friendly restaurants? The rest of the article went on to talk about how mothers are often the ones in charge of a family's health care and how mothers' instincts about a child/spouse's health are uncannily correct. The author brought up examples of mothers who just knew there was something wrong with their child, even though the children had no visible symptoms and the women had no medical training.

I'm just a new mom, but I hope to pick up this "cognitive ability" soon. Sometimes when I'm holding ESK or watching her, I shudder with fear at the thought of any harm befalling her. It's such a scary notion!

And to end this entry on a brighter note.... ESK has been doing her tummy time and is finally showing progress. Yay ESK!

6 comments:

RBK said...

i hope i got smarter! excellent tummy time ESK- you'll have to show off for your cousin next time we see you!

yellowinter said...

wow, esk looks great! i really should get him on his tummy more. he doesn't seem to like it too much when i put him on my belly. perhaps it still just too mountainous. ;p yeah, i get a little sad looking at my figure these days, or the lack there of. i keep trying to remember what someone had said once, "we had 9 months to put on this weight, we get 9 months to get back." it still stinks though, since nothing seems to fit anymore. aiya~

jl said...

wow, she's good!

yellowinter said...

i had to come back and read your excerpt because i seem to have regressed. perhaps that parts of our brain that needs to care for the babe gets enhanced and everyw here else decreases in size and efficacy to make up for it. i am still seriously lacking memory and brain power these days. :( :)

Allie said...

So beautiful!! I think I've lost many brain cells. I was hoping to regain them but maybe that won't be happening...

I love that picture of ESK between the jail doors sleeping away... ha ha ha

I started sleep training J at 4 months... tough first couple of months but she became a really good sleeper. I heard about RBK's infamous graphs and spreadsheets... She's an expert. You have a wise sister. :)

RBK said...

wanted to add that things change again after you stop nursing, so until then, just chill out.